It is the start of summer.
For many of us, it is also the start of summer road trips. Whether a trip to the cottage or exploring Canada, here are some tips that can help make the trip greener.
- Make sure your car is in good working order. If you need to top up any fluids, make sure to dispose of used fluids and containers properly.
- Pack a cooler for snacks and drinks with reusable containers and use reusable ice packs.
- If cooking with propane or other combustible gas cylinders, return empty containers for proper disposal.
- When stopping for a coffee break, bring your own travel container. There are travel beverage containers that can work for both hot and cold beverages.
- If you are keeping the children entertained with electronic devices, use reusable batteries instead of single-use batteries. Dispose of spent batteries responsibly — they don’t go in the garbage.
- Please don’t litter. Remember to “leave no trace.” Keep waste materials in your car until you come to a recycling container. When hiking, bring any waste back with you for proper sorting.
- Remember to drive safe!
You can even consider leaving your car behind! Parkbus operates bus routes to popular camping destinations in Algonquin Provincial Park, Killarney Provincial Park, French River Provincial Park, and more.
While out enjoying the open road this summer with friends and family, do your part and help keep our environment green and beautiful.